Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Faith, it is an all in proposition.


Early this morning, long before the sun came up, I was outside praying, meditating, and pondering the realities of life. I was thinking of some of the daily challenges that we each face, and I stumbled upon the thought that I hope I have enough faith to deal with the challenges that will come my way today.

Suddenly, it was as if it was daylight all around me, lit by the HUGE cartoon lightbulb that appeared above my head. Not literally, of course, but it was almost that dramatic. The veil was lifted and the the view was clear. There are no degrees of faith, you either have faith or you don't.

The dictionary defines faith as; "great trust or confidence in something or someone." Great confidence, not some level of confidence, but great confidence. That does not leave much room for doubt.

I remember one time while driving through Central Mexico, with a pastor on the way to a mission trip. We were behind a slow truck on a twisty mountain road and we were lamenting the need to pass this truck. He looked over at me as we started into a blind corner he hit his left blinker and said,"Randy, tienes, fe?" (Randy, do you have faith?) He was just kidding, but there was a time of silent counting in all of our heads, waiting to see if a car or truck would come flying around the corner that would have represented our death. For the record, it would not have ended well. My kids and I often play that game now to pass the time while driving.

But that game in the car defines faith, a blind trust in a yet to be determined outcome. But in that game, and in life, it is a yes or no proposition. There are no degrees or maybes. You are all in or all out. It does not mean you can't think about your decision, but at some point faith requires a firm commitment. Are you in or are you out? Do you have what it takes to pull into the other lane?

So my challenge to each of you today is "tienes fe?" Do you have faith? Well... do you? If so, put your turn signal on and move to the other lane, as life is a journey and you are already on the highway. Of course this blog is about religion and spirituality, but I truly believe that this applies to every part of our lives!

Yhea God!

No comments: